Pages

Thursday 8 July 2021

How Matariki was made

 One day that came to be, Papatuanuku and Ranginui were together and their children were crouched between them. They were surrounded by complete darkness and their children were irritated and annoyed, they didn’t wanna live this way.


Tumatauenga, the god of war, suggested to beat his parents to death. But Tane Mahtua disagreed and suggested separating their parents. He would send Ranginui above leaving Papatuanuku below, she was in tears of what happened. 


Once the separation was done I was furious. I didn’t like what Tane Mahutua did at all, I had unleashed my anger onto Earth blowing strong winds into the distance. As a way of showing my pain to my brothers. Ranginui was not so happy about the separation that happened to him and Papatuanuku, he cried and cried and that had produced rain. 


Papatuanuku, had been named mother nature. After all this happened I had gouged my eyes out as a symbol of love and pain throwing it as hard as I could up above into the milky way galaxy, which had made the stars we know as Matariki. 


I am now known as Tawhiri, the blind, unseeing god I who explores land, going in all directions. This is how the constellation of Matariki came to be. The rising of Matariki signals the different behaviours from aspects of our environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.